Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Remember when...

So I'm toughing it out and trying to meet a package deadline that I've been procrastinating on for a bit here at work. This morn I came, turned on my iTunes and got Billy Jean by Michael Jackson going (to set the work pace) and it hits me that this song is part of my childhood memories. I used to loooovvvveee Michael Jackson (still do love the old Michael, not the new...). That man could make some music. My dad bought me this record:


so that I could play it on my own record player and dance like a maniac in my room, and my mom gave me a Michael Jackson button to wear (we all used to wear buttons, it was the 80s, hehehe). Couldn't find an image of the button, but this type of button, just to jog your memory...


Anywhy, this post is not about Michael, but about childhood memories. Kj and I have this discussion quite often about how he can remember something that happened when he was 2 years old (he really can), but how my earliest memory may be from when I was 5 and then up until about 10, it's pretty sketchy. Shameful b/c I know that I should have some good memories in there when I look at old pictures, but I guess my mind choose what to hold on to and what to let go of. So, this morn as I was getting into "work" mode with Billy Jean blaring, I had a flash back of: dancing (a fast running in place type thing with arms flying) in purple sweat pants (mom says I didn't like jeans b/c they "felt funny on my legs"...I was an odd child), and a white t-shirt, in a little space by my bed until I was sweating and out of breath only to collapse on my bed and think, I love Michael Jackson. I was about 5 years old. I also thought Michael was saying that "the Jed is not my son" which is how I still sing the song. Such a good memory! It made me smile (22 years later), and then I ate my Frosted Flakes with strawberries and drank the milk from the bowl like my father showed me many years ago. hehehe That's another memory for another post. So here's to childhood memories. It's good to let your mind go back to a time before work and bills, don't you think? ;-)

Happy Wednesday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The mental picture I got of you in those purple sweatpants breaking it down as hard as you can to M-Jackson makes me laugh alot!!!

I absolutly love you dearly. As children, we are all a little odd. As adults, those same things make us interesting:)