Friday, August 10, 2007

Please join me...

in boycotting Precision Auto Tune!!!! May their business go down in a fiery flame of failure!!! Oh, you want some details before you commit and I send you a "I Don't *HEART* Precision Auto Tune" t-shirt... understandable.
I own a piece of fine Korean craftsmanship in the form of my Kia and it's truly a great suv. Been with me since 2003 and has never once put me down or thrown me into another vehicle, and that's giving a lot of credit being that I lived in Bham for 2 years and everyone knows driving there is a risk of disaster itself... but I digress.

Anyway, me and my Kia... So her headlight was out. It's been out for about a week, KJ tried to change it, but it's in a difficult place and screwed in some kind of your-headlight-will-never-need-to-be-replaced kind of way. I know it's difficult, so I've always let a professional change it for me. Apparently they've got the right tools. So here's a little FYI, if you go to Auto Zone and buy and headlight, not only will they tell you which headlight to buy, but they'll install it for you (for FREE). The men in Bham were pros, but here in FL my little Auto Zone man was young and scared he was going to break something, so when my left headlight was out, I caught some mechanics just about to leave their shop, put my wedding band in the ashtray, and played the damsel in distress role. It took them about 20 min, but they wouldn't let me pay them, so I gave them the McDonald's gift cards I keep in my purse (to give to my church kids when they answer one of my Challenge questions...). ::sigh:: now here's the story as to why you're going to want to drive down and picket the streets with me...

My right headlight goes out. It's out for about a week and I'm driving around with the headlight replacement bulb in my car, but I can't find the time to catch my old friends the mechanics who changed my other one b/c I get home wayyyy after their shop has closed. So on Wed (my mental health day off) KJ calls Precision Auto Tune and the guy says they can change it and get me right in and out. Cool. So I drive up there, trustingly give the guy my keys and my headlight bulb and proceed to 1)read 4 magazines from cover to cover from March of 2006, 2) witness 3 people come in and go out after having their oil changed, and 3) watch half and episode of some Disney show on the miniscule tv behind the counter. What in the world?!?!?! So finally I stand up and glare out the window and the guy comes back in and says, "Ummm, maam, your car's coming right up. It's going to be $30." Oh no, you've got me mistaken, I just had my headlight changed, that's all. So when I ask how in the world my bill could be $30 when I brought in my own replacement bulb he proceeds to ramble off something about labor fees. So of course I ask what took so long and he tells me..."Well maam, that headlight's in a tough place and you need little hands and the man working on your car does not have little hands..." Seriously?!?! Did you really just explain my labor charge with the fact that a big handed man couldn't do his job??? Does the fact that I'm capable of wearing a skirt mean that I'm a complete idiot when it comes to anything with an engine?? Arghhh! He even had the nerve to tell me that had I not brought in the light it could have been a $60 job b/c the headlight runs about $25 itself. Ummm, no sir, I bought that headlight and didn't spend $6 on it!!!! So I paid the man his over-priced, keep me in shop for an hour and fifteen minute fee, and told him he could take our info out of his system b/c I was never stepping foot or tire back near his establishment... That is until we set up our picket line next week. ;-) So, where do you want me to send your t-shirt? hehehe

Anyway, enough ranting. This week's been good. I'm glad it's Friday, no big plans for the weekend, but that's how I like it sometimes.

Happy Friday friends! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

7 comments:

Candi said...

Girl that was a pig of a man...he thought because you were a female that you'd be stupid or something...I despise men like that!! I'd join your picket line :) Seriously I'm glad you told that guy to not bother with you no more...please 30 dollars for that job? We have one of those near where we live...I won't ever give my business to them...thanks for warning us about this :) Happy Friday!

Trice said...

I will be there. I hate when I get screwed around with my car. You go in for a service that you know should be really cheap and they find other things that need to be replaced in order for this to function at this HIGH PRICE.

Lauren said...

Girl...I am a fraud claims adjuster for AUTO Auctions. I deal with this numbskulls all the time. They think that just because you are a girl...you are stupid. What I do when I go to get something like that done is look up the labor time on the task and multiply it times the normal labor rate (usually $30 for Mechanical, $70 for Body and Paint work) and then add in the price of the part. Your would have been:
.55 Hours at $30=16.50...and that is on the high side. That is assuming that Mr. Hulk hands takes his time. What a jerk.
Sign me up for the LINE...I put dibs on the "WE HATE HULK HANDS" sign!
Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. I once had a guy at one of those oil change places try to sell me a belt that didn't exist in my car.

Just cause I have girly-parts doesn't mean I'm completely clueless. A little insane sometimes...probably. Clueless...not necessarily. They really should weigh those options, err on the side of caution and just cut the BS!

Anonymous said...

oh mygosh! I am furious. That is insane. I cant believe you did not just punch him in the face. I went through the same kind of stuff all the time with the Jetta. No one knew how to do anything with it. I once stopped at AutoZone to get my blinker light changed. After he was through, my hazzard lights never worked again. Go figure....

Monica said...

I wish I could have given you a head's up about Precision Tune. Took the Jeep in for an oil change, they ended up screwing it up & glueing the engine back together we spent well into 2-3000 dollars before I had a friend drive up in his beemer & "repo" it from them. Should have sued them

Anonymous said...

hehehehehheh-- What a great post :)!