Friday, January 04, 2008

If you're checking...

on mine and the Compass's relationship, well, I must honestly admit that it's slow going right now. Yep, viva la Compass my foot. It can live long, but I'm giving it a couple of years... or months. :-) Told you that I'm a spaz.

This morn was the first morn that I drove it in to work and for 45 min all I could really think was that I missed my Sorento (and how in the world do you program this dog-gone radio...) So I'm pulling myself up by the boot straps and going to look at the positives and not focus on the negatives. Because you may be curious, here are the few little negatives that have popped up:
1) Surprisingly, this model did not come with floor mats. Didn't notice til KJ got home with it last night, and even then just thought the cleaning pep had forgot to put them in. Ummm, no. So my sales guy sensed the "disappointment" in my voice and rounded me up some floor mats that "may not fit exactly, but match the floor color and are free." Gee. thanks. (Buying a car makes me feel so naive, there's always something that I feel like I forgot to ask and should have or forgot to check and should have...)
2) There are NO radio controls in the steering wheel. Apparently the one we test drove was the limited one and it came in there, but my little model, not so much.
3) I feel like everything is too close in this suv. The steering well is in my bosom (yes I know I can scoot the seat back, but my legs are only so long), the visor is right at my forehead, and the door is literally kissing my elbow. Maybe it's not the car, maybe I'm just too big for the vehicle...

So, focusing on the positive (and thank you all so much for your comments, that really helps to put things in a more positive light):
1) It drives great. Handles really well on the highway.
2) I am sitting up higher than I would be in a car and I missed that.
3) The limited space difference between it and the Sorento will allow me to focus on keeping my car clean and not cluttering it up with work bags, totes, coats and umbrellas.
4) Because I said the positive had to out-do the negatives... I really like the color. It's a bit darker than I had hoped, so I'll have to report back on how it "hides" dirt. Oh and the gas mileage thing is still out for debate, I'm conducting my own tests on that. Hopefully I'll see a drop in my $400 a month ($100 a week) gas bill.

So the Compass and I are doing okay. I think we had a rocky first date, but that's only because it was dark when we met and I actually had it a little confused with its friend (the limited edition version). ;-) There are many more dates to come so I'll keep you posted on the relationship. In keeping with honesty, I must say that my dear sweet could-do-no-wrong Kia Sorento has left some mighty big tire tracks to fill, but alas, it's deceased and I must move on.

Ending on a definite bright note: We're going to go check out a new movie theater in a nearby city tomorrow afternoon. I'm hoping to catch The Great Debaters with Denzel and Forrest Whittaker on the big screen. Has anyone seen this yet?

Happy Friday!

********edited after drive home to add******
Okay, I know that this post may make me come off as a spoiled-spoiled brat. I know what a blessing it is to be able to get a new car after having killed my other. It takes me a while to process such a change, and when I look at it in an unbiased, I'm just blessed to have a vehicle fashion, I know that me and the Compass are going to be just fine. The car is fine. Is does drive fabulously, and when I took my big ole coat off and drove home (and adjusted my seat some more), I had more room. Now I'm done. Enough car talk. You all have a great weekend!!! Lots of love!

3 comments:

Tasha said...

Ahhh, Roz! I know what I said yesterday, but you know it was a caught off guard purchase. You prepared for a Kia so it's only natural that your mind be set to a Kia. But, (you know i have to throw the mini me in) change CAN be good and with all the changes coming your way with the babe and all, this just might add to your preparation phase of her coming... hee, hee, hee.

Roz said...

Tasha,

I know you're right! My mind tells me that you're right. I'm trying to look forward to the drive home as time for me and the Compass to bond. ;-)

Hope you have a great weekend girlie! Keep those pics of the J-bug rolling in!

Anonymous said...

The Great Debators is GREAT!!!! I must admit, after spending infinite years in college and yet to have acquired a degree, I felt ashamed and ungrateful because of what people of ALL colors went through to acquire a college degree. I saw it in theater and now have it on "bootleg." Jai loves the movie too. Hope you guys enjoyed.