First let me explain that furniture shopping turned out to be more of a task than anticipated. KJ had opinions. Plain and simple. It threw me for a loop. Many of our conversations when we browsed the web were "What do you mean you think it's tacky?! and No, all seats in the sectional do not need to recline..." and so on. All of a sudden my dear husband wanted to help me "handle the inside stuff". (Yes, we foolishly agreed that KJ would do the outside of the house and I would do the inside. He didn't stick to his end of the deal, so I'm now rallying hard for hydrangea bushes... that's a whole other post...)
Anywho, our taste is generally like night and day, so when we walked into the furniture store and saw this couch that we BOTH LIKED, we knew we had to jump on it. All four caramel pieces of the sectional were coming home with us. Did we think to measure??? We didn't. Quite frankly, I think we overestimated our living space. And, although I had some question about the color, I was convinced that I could make it work. I'm all about painting a wall or two.
So the couch is delivered and the first 2 pieces come in giving a good indication that we could have stopped with them and been fine. But noooo, our eyes were bigger than our living room and we opted for the chaise and the bumper. So the delivery men look at each other and then us as if to ask "Are you serious?!?!?!" Well, good ole pride kicked in and I said, "Yea! This is looking just right, if you'll bring in the other pieces, we'll set it up just like we planned." So that's what they did. Brought in the last two pieces, stuffed them in our living room, and left with questions in their eyes. That's about when I looked at KJ giggling and asked if we should just stop them at the end of the street or call them the next day to come pick up our lovely 90ft brown space hog. Seriously, I watch enough HGTV that I should have known better!
Well, don't fret, we called the next day and decided to switch out for our then 2nd, now 1st choice. A lovely man/woman compromise I like to call it. (It's leather on the bottom but plush on top. Sounds funky, but I promise, it's more chic then tacky- KJ's new adjective of choice. hehehe) Here's the kicker. We get to keep the elephant in our living room until the other is in stock and delivered (about another week or so). So we've been scooting around our living room and I must say that Snuffaluffagus (big bird's large brown elephant friend aka our new temp. sofa) is kind of growing on me. KJ and I can both stretch out from head to toe and still be no where near one another (good for playstation/reading time), or meet in the middle for movie cuddling. So I've been thinking that I should probably host a gathering of 50 or so pep to put this thing to full use before it goes back to the store. ;-)
In conclusion I've learned that I probably should measure large items of furniture to avoid any future hassle, but I'm not going to lie, the rebel in me still smiles and says "Who needs a tape measurer, just eyeball it and run with it!" Yep, that's my method of choice. I think of this couch as one freak incident...

1 comment:
That's the coolest and biggest couch I've ever seen. ;) Sometimes furniture that doesn't seem to fit at first turns out to be the best piece of furniture you have. And it looks like it would be really fun to pile up and watch TV on... ;)
Post a Comment